News from Race for Water, on a technical stopover in Concepcion through until 30 July! Anne-Laure, second in command, has taken up her pen to write us a few lines before leaving the vessel and handing over to Annabelle.
“Whilst we were moored at the military base of Talcahuano, a NE’ly wind picked up, reaching 20 knots in the gusts. Not a lot you might say to me. However, it was more than enough to put the boat in an uncomfortable position. This particular orientation means that the wind is onshore, pushing us against the dock, and the accompanying chop was chafing the hull.
At first light, we got the latest grib files, which show that a very deep depression is forecast for the following week from the exact same wind direction. We quickly get in contact with the shore team to make a decision. The boat cannot remain in this location so we have to find a fallback solution as fast as possible. Our local contacts get involved and do their best to find us a place of shelter. Two days later it’s the shipyard, which agrees to accommodate us. We have a narrow weather window to move the boat and it’s fairly hassle free with a shorthanded crew.
Right now, we’re tied up alongside, nicely protected from the NE’ly wind and its chop. The past three days have been very intense and we’re relieved that the boat will be safe and sound for the coming weeks.
In a few hours’ time, I’m handing over to my counterpart and returning to my island, my mind at ease.”